- Select a container that is larger than your plants current pot, and has a drainage hole at the bottom with the tray beneath it to catch excess water.
- To prevent soil from escaping, add a layer of small stones to the bottom of the container.
- Fill container one third full with Espoma organic potting soil mix.
- Add the appropriate amount of Espoma Organic Bio-tone Starter Plus, and mix thoroughly with the potting mix.
- Carefully remove the plant from its current container and gently loosen the root ball.
- Center the plant in the new container and fill it with additional potting mix.
- Allow at least 1 inch between the rim of the pot in the top of the soil.
- Gently pat down the mix and add more if required. Make sure the plant is about the same depth in the soil as it was in the original container.
- Water plant thoroughly with a slow gentle spray and allowed to drain.
Watering: Avoid over watering by allowing the soil to dry to the touch between watering. Use a tray or saucer to catch water as it drains from the bottom. Do not allow plants to stand in water. Outdoor container plants can require frequent watering (once per day in hot, dry conditions).
Light: Some plants thrive in direct sun exposure while others prefer shade. Check plant tag or consult your local garden center to determine preferred exposure.
Feeding: Frequent watering can easily leach nutrients out from the root zone. Feed plants at least monthly during the growing season with an Espoma Organic Plant Food beginning two weeks after planting.